Last spring the day before we needed to take the students to an athletic competition, the bus decided not to work. We took it to a mechanic and he has had a dickens of a time trying to find the problem. After several different “solutions” he finally discovered, after I had left for the summer, that the module that controls the injectors was not working.
Ms Candi, bless her heart, was able to purchase a new control unit here in town for about 1/3 of the price the mechanic had quoted. She purchased it, delivered it, and last week he called to say the bus would be ready this week.
One problem: when the new control unit was installed the fan that was supposed to keep the unit cool was not working. (maybe the reason the module quit in the first place?) He stopped by to tell us that he could not find the fan in the auto supply stores in town. He showed us the fan. It was a small fan like the ones in desktop computers so Ms Candi and I went to a local computer store where the tech found a used 12 volt fan that could be made to work. We delivered it to our trusty mechanic about 5:00 last evening.
An hour ago he finally had the bus running and decided to drive it over to us. He was so excited to be able to finally deliver a working bus. But no.
On the way he was stopped by the police for having an out of date license plate. He tried to explain that it had been in the shop and he was just delivering it and wouldn’t they let us get a new license today now that the bus was fixed.
Well, in order to get a license, the vehicle has to be inspected. In order to get it inspected we need to make sure all the lights and turn signals work, etc. etc. So now our friendly mechanic, who we are beginning to know better than we had hoped, has the bus back making sure it will pass inspection.
I’m not quite sure how we are going to get it from the shop to the inspection station without another ticket, but I guess we will cross that bridge when we get to it. The saga continues.